Saturday, June 18, 2011

Update and Other Stuff

Hello All,

Not a whole lot to tell as far as weight loss.  I am still plugging along, walking my circuits, watching portion sizes, paying attention to when I am full and stopping, not snacking much at work...just pretzels and a candy bar occasionally.  I have not weighed in some time though, I am afraid to.  The stress of the past several weeks had me eating more than I would have liked.  One thing I did notice though, at the most stressful times I was FAMISHED!  I could not get enough to eat.  I did not overeat all that much, but as I said, I did eat more than I wanted and did not make the best choices.  And then, when the stress had passed, hardly any appetite at all.  Very odd to me.

I do have a bit of interesting news.  Those that have been following me for a while (Thank you so much, I love all of you!) knows my main form of exercise is walking circuits around the parking lot at work, on my breaks.  Well, the funny thing is, other people have noticed me out there.  At first they just kind of looked at me like some kind of oddity (esp when it was freezing cold and raining).  Now they are encouraging me on.  But here is the best part.  Others have started walking too and telling me about it.  Two co-worker/friends that work up on the second floor have started walking the back stairs a couple times a day, just for the exercise.  Others have started walking circuits around the parking lot on their breaks too.  People I have never spoken to except to say hi in passing, are stopping me to tell me about their exercise efforts.  I love it!  Very cool.

And now some sad news.  My boys are moving away.  Almost 1,000 miles.  I have to say, I am a bit scared to be up here by myself, but, my son has a great opportunity to attend Pharmacy Tech training for FREE.  They will be living with my elderly parents and helping them.  After our trip down there last week, I see that my parents need my sons help as much as he needs theirs.  My father is entering into Senile Dementia and my mom just cannot keep their place up by herself.  Some things have fallen into minor disrepair and Donald will be taking care of these things.  The yard and surrounding property have become overgrown, too.  So Donald and my grandson Cade have some yardwork to do.

I do have some plans though.  Once they leave, I will have a whole lot of time on my hands.  The apartments I live in have an exercise room with lots of equipment and a recumbent (sp?) bike.  Debbie at Getting Healthy, has inspired me to ride across the country.  I am really looking forward to this.  It will make it a lot more fun.  Also, my son does most of our cooking.  He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy.  He likes to cook with a lot of cheese, frying, bacon, you get the idea.  I am more simple and somewhat vegetarian.  I like simple protein and vegetable meals.  I am still struggling to eat fruit.  I have lots of vegetarian cookbooks and am looking forward to trying out some recipes. 

Well, I have a busy day ahead of me today, I better get busy.  I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure that you are going to miss Donald & Cade, and it will take some time to adjust. But it sounds like they will be a great addition to your parent's home. It is so neat that you have made such an impact on the people where you work. And the extra encouragement is always nice to have.

    I think that you will love the recumbent bike. I can't believe how fast the miles add up when I'm reading or listening to music. It does hurt my knees a little sometimes. I do best when I start out slower and at a higher resistance level. That seems to warm my knees up & then I can lower the resistance level and increase my speed. You are facing the changes in your life with a great attitude. I'm excited for you & the new opportunity to further your fitness goals. Can't wait to hear how things go. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear Donald and Cabe are moving but what a positive way of thinking you have gone for ..you are looking at the plusses for them, for you and for your parents.
    Brilliant you are inspiring a whole car park of walkers!
    As for stressful appetites...I suffer similarly to you. I recognise I am an emotional eater and eat more when worried, anxious, tired, happy, pretty any emotion out of the ordinary USED to have me heading for comfort food. It ISNT weakness its a rush of beta-endorphins that come after a usually sugary binge. They are 'feel good' hormones and we feel bad for whatever reason and remember food gives us a feel good rush.
    Its overcoming that desire with willpower and extra knowledge that's helping us get thinner.

    Keep on going! Can't wait to hear how you change with this new lifestyle
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ride across the country?! I will have to read Debbie's blog to see what you mean! Really, physically across the country? Or the number of miles it would take to do that on the stationery bike? Either way, quite a goal! Go for it!
    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your walking inspiring others inspires me!!!!! GO GIRL! I can't imagine having my sons move so far... I'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete