Sunday, February 5, 2012

Moving Forward

So, I have been stuck between 201 and 205 for some time. 

After a year of doing this I believe I pretty much have my shtick down...not being on a "diet", learning proper portions, stopping when I am full and not cleaning my plate, cutting out fast, processed and prepared frozen foods, trying to eat real food like you would find in an old Betty Crocker cookbook, being aware of calories but not counting them, cutting back on sodium, allowing myself to eat whatever I want (allowing is not the same as doing, gives me time to pause and decide do I really want to eat "_____"?) and so, with these changes I have lost 30 pounds (along with added exercise).  My newest target of change is complex carbs vs simple carbs.

Now that the items I listed above have become a part of me, habit so to speak, I believe it is also time to start doing some fine tuning.  I have come across a pretty helpful book.  It is called 400 Calorie Fix.  It teaches you how to better judge the calories in your food.  The basic premise is to eat 400 calories at each meal, with 3-5 meals per day depending on your gender and activity level.  It turns out, my breakfasts and lunches were already coming in at just about 400 calories.  They give you LOADS of ideas (which is exactly what I was looking for).  The calories in the meal ideas come in at around 380-420.  There is a lot of good nutritional advice, teaching about proper nutrient and fiber levels.  And you are still not counting calories.  They do, however, suggest measuring and weighing your food for a while until you get a better idea of proper portion sizes.  Turns out, a lot of people underestimate and end up eating too many calories.

I hope someone finds this post helpful and that you're all having a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. "If you want to sing out, sing out. And if you want to be free. Cause there's a million ways to be."

    That's my kind of song. The opportunity's on.

    ReplyDelete